Thursday, April 12, 2012

I must pardon the venting from last night.  It had nothing to do with my current clients, just a conversation that I had recently which brought up negative memories.  Being in the service industry is tough.  You cannot please everyone no matter how hard you try.  I learned this the hard way working at the vet, but it also applied to bartending, waitressing, and even the pet sitting.  Someone will always be unhappy, even it is one person out of 100, but that one persons dissatisfaction will haunt me continuously because I tend to take things very personally.  Even if I know that I did nothing wrong, I want to make everyone happy - especially my clients!  It is something to work on I know, but working the front desk at an animal hospital is like a firing range.  You get abused for 10 hours a day by the public and then go home to stew.  It takes a lot out of you and it takes years to overcome that feeling of helplessness.  You are doing all that you can for these people, following protocols, listening to personal problems, helping as much as humanly possible, and somehow you still get shit on.  Is there a problem with wanting respect from people when you are respecting them?  Truth be told, I am still jaded from this experience and probably will be for quite a while.  I have piles of ridiculous stories in my brain.  Some of them, I can finally laugh at.

No comments:

Post a Comment