Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I keep getting calls from people who don't seem to understand what I do.  I do not board cats and dogs at my house.  You would be surprised at how many people request this.  Not only is there a HUGE chance of getting animals dumped here, I cannot house any free roaming animals with all of my cats who happen to hate dogs.  (Except for Max, he loves everyone and everything)  I am going to have to figure out how to re-word my advertisements so that this is clear.  I will take small caged rodents or reptiles, but that is it.

People also need to be clear on what it is that they want from me as a pet sitter.  I hate to vent, but on occasion it is needed.  I have had a few high maintenance clients who will remain nameless (they are also not clients anymore) who expect me to be a maid, a therapist, a gopher, AND a pet sitter.  I don't get paid enough for that!  I am there to feed, medicate, pick up poop, change water, and give love.  I have no problem watering plants and taking in mail.  What I DO have a problem with is people expecting me to be as anal as they are with certain aspects of the house.  Don't get me wrong, I don't leave a mess behind me, but when someone sends you a text asking why you didn't wipe the place mat after feeding the wet food and wondering why the sink wasn't SPOTLESS when they came home... that's a bit much.  I am not there to clean your house.  I will clean up any bodily fluid that comes from your animal, even if I spill some wet food and make a mess, of course I wipe it up.  I just cannot be expected to act exactly as you do in your house!  When I come over, I expect enough food, enough litter, bags, medication, etc.  I should not have to go shopping for you.  If something runs out unexpectedly I don't mind, but I am on foot.  The last thing I feel like doing is lugging litter around the city.  Again, I am there to make sure your pet is happy and healthy and taken care of properly.    When you text me for an update every hour on the hour and want constant pics, it consumes my life.  I send texts and pics all the time, but maybe once a day.

 Many people don't seem to understand that their pets behave differently when they are not around.  They don't eat the same, they don't walk the same, they don't sleep the same, they are a bit more anxious.  Usually dogs that are bad with owners are great with me.  It's all relative and I wish people would understand this.  I don't want to be made to feel like I'm doing something wrong when in fact, I am doing nothing wrong. I take it very personally.  This is my business, pretty much my life.  I love these animals as if they were my own.  Sometimes things just get very frustrating when I am being micromanaged from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment