Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Last week it was FREEZING.  Temperatures were under 20 degrees in the mornings, and I had to visit my love of a cat (and her grandmother) on Broad St. everyday.  Some days I walked, some days I took the bus.  The cat is doing great, one by one getting off  of all medications.  Her gradmother however needed assistance with ear drops.  One morning I came in and she said,  "You have TWO cats today in this building."  I have another client in the building that I am starting on February 1st, so at first I tried to figure out how she knew.  I told her, "No, that's not for over a week."  She replied, "No, me! " I love her so much, she is like my family at this point.  After the cat got her food and medication, her grandmother got her ear drops. :) I will not add treating people to my resume though.

On my way home that Thursday, I walked down Lombard and passed by Morris Animal Refuge.  They are closed on Thursdays, but I see a box out front.  People will leave donations of food, newspapers, litter, etc, so at first I didn't think much of it.  Then I see that there are holes in the box.  My first thought is that there is something alive in there, and I hope it is still alive because it is about 10 degrees out.  I knelt down to peer into the box slowly, repeating "please be alive, please be alive" and I see eyes.  Some asshole left 2 kittens in a cardboard box in the dead of winter!  And the shelter was closed that day!

I scooped them up, hailed a cab, and took them home. My cab driver asked about the box, I told him what happened, and in a thick accent he asked if I believed in a God.  I told him that I did.  He said that God make these cats for a reason and he loves them.  The fact that I saved them makes God smile and good things will come to me.  Then we discussed how horrible people are and questioned how anyone could do this.

When we got home, they were visibly shaken and traumatized, but very sweet.  Two boys, about 8-9 weeks old and freezing.  I kept them in my spare bathroom, took them to get checked out the next day, and an old co-worker at the vet fell in love with them and adopted them!  This story couldn't have had a better ending.

Boy are they bonded

No comments:

Post a Comment